Saturday, March 9, 2013

Adventures in Graduate School: Episode 1

Acceptance

Yesterday and the day before were exciting days.  For many reasons.  (They were sad as well, but I don't want to get into that right now).

If you've read past posts, there was a post about my personal statement thoughts process.  I was then, in the process of applying to a total of 8 different graduate schools.  Looking back, I was seriously distraught over filling out the applications, hoping that I didn't waste money filling out something hopeless.

So naturally, late January when I heard positive replies from 4 schools, I was shocked.

On Thursday, I was accepted to the smallest program that I applied to and visiting in the third weekend of February.  I was super happy to hear that they offered me admission, even though I felt like they were small and probably not a great fit for me.

Then on Friday, after being pestered by family and friends as to whether I heard back from my top school, I arrived home for the beginning of spring break and hopped on the family computer to check my email.  Amid the mass of junk I receive on a daily basis and class emails from our school's class website program sat an unimaginable subject heading: "Offer of Admission".  I didn't need to read the email to know the news.  Rejections are more subtle.  I opened the pdf containing my letter.  In not-so-flowery language, I've been accepted to my top choice of graduate school; a school I wanted to attend for undergraduate.

Somewhere between sobbing and jumping up and down, alone in my house of course, I managed to tell the important people.

I'm only unsure in one thing at this point, and that is can I find at least 5 professors to potentially rotate with.  I have another school option, one where I got to meet someone I would totally work for.  But I'm not as in love with their school as much.

So this week, I'm going to take the time to look through both schools and weight the options.  At the end of the week, I will have a decision.  And I will be on the road to being a PhD student (well sort of).  The future is bright.  I'm finally seeing the light at the end of this path that was dark and unknown for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment