Friday, September 14, 2012

An Autobiography

In an analytical list form so I can avoid correct grammar and writing structure.

Name: Michelle
Internet name: Amethyst or Ame, or whatever really
Birthday: Good ol' Pearl Harbor Day, December 7th
Hails from: A midwest state known for it's limestone and corn
Occupation: Semipermanent Student (I have 6 more years ahead of me)

Favorite color: Purple, if that wasn't definite from the title, internet name
Other languages: Sarcasm (mostly fluent), German and Japanese, though I'd love to learn Russian, Italian, Korean and proper British English

Okay, I see this isn't going to work.  I'll try this writing thing properly.

I was born in a suburb of the large city that hails as the capital of the state of corn and limestone.  There I learned the ways of being me.  I went to preschool and kindergarten as Christian private schools.  Despite my lack of religious affiliation, I still remember many songs fondly and I can still recite Psalms 23 for the most part.  I went to an elementary school with was shaped like a circle; it was easy to get lost if you weren't used to it.  It was in 4th grade that I fell in love with the instrument known as the violin and I began to take lessons that year.  Sadly, for the most part, the only thing I remember well from elementary school was Sept. 11 2001, which occurred in 5th grade.  I do remember my best friend moving my 6th grade year to Arizona.  I'm happy to say, she and I still remain in contact through the powers of Facebook.
It was after 7th grade that I managed to change schools 3 times for the next three years.  I attended the local junior high school for 7th grade and then my family moved to a tiny white bread town just north of aforementioned capital city.  There I attended 8th grade in their single middle school and the following year began high school.  My 4 years of high school were all the mix of hormones, confusion, rage and awesomeness that many teenagers will reflect later.  It was in high school that I learned to be me or to finally be me.  I learned not to be controlled by others.  It was in high school that I learned to only keep few close and keep everyone at arm's length.  It seems selfish, but it works for me and people have to do what works for them.  I also learned in high school how much I love chemistry.  I'm sure sometime I will talk about my chemistry history, which is a story in and of itself.
Finally in the spring of 2009, I graduated from white bread high school with a GPA of like 3.7 and now I go to a diversified college.  I was happy to get away from the white bread town though getting away from my somewhat ok home life was harder.
In the fall of my sophomore year of undergrad, my father passed away.  I call him my father because dad sounds like it meant that I was close with him.  However, over the course of several years (many of which I didn't really notice at first) he had managed to create a void between us.  It's difficult to talk about, because on one hand, someone always wishes for the perfect parents and we want people to redeem themselves and I will never have that but at the same time, he created so many problems that I was kinda okay with it all.  Either way I felt, that year sucked, majorly.  My GPA fell and I was struggling to make it in the world of chemistry and college.  I got some spring back when I finally found a position in a lab.  I work with a wonderful professor, whose love for organic chemistry and how it relates to the human body is evident in her work and her love for teaching comes out when she manages to tolerate three undergrad students at once.
That brings me to the present.  I am a senior and I will be applying for graduate school, soon, I hope.  I have not narrowed my list down to schools I can go to and where I'd like to locate myself in this world.  But I'm sure that will all unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment