Thursday, September 13, 2012

An Introduction

If it wasn't apparent to anyone ever in my life, most people know that I do in fact hate talking about myself.  Some people will go, "No, no Michelle, you talk about yourself all the time, especially about your art."  And yes, that's true, I, like most artists, can talk about my art.  But other than that, I fail at writing any such essays or applications which involve me listing my merits and personality, because altogether, it seems very false.

I do enjoy writing though and sharing things that I love, and that is what I want Amethystinus Aether to be about.  I want it to be an inside view of things I find to love and wish to share; like my favorite music or the journal I happen to be reading about in chemistry recently.

You'll find I'm quite paradoxical in nature and that is because I generally think in many situations, I use both sides of my brain.  My left brain loves chemistry, it loves the mathematical and analytical sides of art and the world and my right brain is the creative one; it applies what ideas it has to ever part of my work.

In that sense, I'm both a scientist and an artist.  And those two things blend very well.  It takes creativeness to find new things in the world of chemistry and for me, it's takes the analyticalness of my scientific side to properly draw figures in art.  It is difficult for me to speak about a one true passion.  The truth of it all is that I'm very passionate about both chemistry and art, and those two worlds are hard to maintain in balance with each other.

On one hand, there is my chemistry.  I became interested in it in my junior year of high school, after finding I had a knack for understanding it's basic principles. While now I realize I'm average at best in chemistry, I still love it and I want to continue studying it in order to find a fulfilling career that helps people, be it at a pharmaceutical company or some other industry job.  I've learned several things in my time in undergraduate studies in chemistry: 1) I do not like organic, no matter how much my adviser encourages it 2) to get a good career in chemistry, you have to have a masters or Ph.D. and 3) I'm in love with chemical interactions that occur in the body.  I'm sure as this blog progresses, you will learn about my time applying to graduate schools, since I'm a senior, and that is my main plan straight out of college.

And on the other hand, I'm obsessed with everything art.  I've drawn all my life, I dance and I've played the violin.  I love looking at art and being involved in it.  It's something I hold dear, just as much as chemistry, but because it will never be my career, it often sits on the back-burner.  I'm fortunate to find time to participate in ballroom dance and draw almost every week.  But I haven't picked up my violin in several years, except to tune it and play short tunes.  My drawing style is manga illustration.  While I mostly do fanart, I do have quite a few original characters involved in an original story tentatively dubbed "Omega" and I wish to get the comic off the ground soon.  I'm also trying to change my style to something less manga-like, with realistic eyes and noses and lips.  When I took a drawing class in college, I adored doing figure work, I even took the time to go to free figure drawing sessions on some evenings just because they were offered for free.  In keeping art a hobby, I hope I will be able to expand my appreciation for it as well as continue learning at my own pace and not feel obligated to change at the rate I'm sure most artists do.

So sometimes, I am the best of both worlds, however, I have a feeling this year chemistry will take over and in graduate school it shall reign supreme.  I will try to keep my art appreciation and love alive despite that.  I hope that this blog can display both of those worlds.  I love sharing interesting things in both art and chemistry.  And I hope you will continue to follow me here on my journey through life.

~<3


No comments:

Post a Comment